Pull up a chair, get a cup of tea, and enjoy reading the recipes and tidbits of my journey through Life.

Saturday, September 1, 2012

In With the New!

My daughter started Kindergarten this past Monday and since then life has been a whirlwind!  Monday at the bus stop we met another mom who just happened to be PTA VP.  She asked if I was a stay-at-home mom and I told her I was.  Mrs. T is her name and she asked if I could help out Tuesday.  I said sure.  I spent that day helping set up the display cabinets for the upcoming Fall Fundraiser.  Make a long story short...I am now the PTA Fundraising Committee Chairperson.  LOL  Not exactly sure how I got the job, but here I am.  Fundraiser kicked off Friday and if my daughter sells 250 items (that are about $10 each) she wins either a iPad or 35" flatscreen TV.  There are other prizes for selling less items that are awesome too.  And selling 32 items gets her a Hummer Limo ride to McDonalds.  I don't normally let her eat that shit, but I will make an exception this time.  If you want to help her reach 250 items, let me know and I will send you the info so you can order online (yeah, they have online ordering for out-of-towners...isn't technology great?)

We are chicken sitting for Maman and Baba while they are on a trip over the Labor Day weekend.  Very odd being here without them. Day time isn't so bad, but dinner time and bed time are pretty weird.  Anyway, so we're watching the chickens.  They had broken out of their run when we got here Friday, so the Hubby had to fix that before we could put them in for the night. 

Today was relaxing, but I finally got to use my new food dehydrator!!!  It arrived on Tuesday but I haven't had a chance to even open it with all the PTA stuff going on.  [ It is an early B-day gift...over 2 months early :-) ] I found Red Delicious apples for $0.98 a pound and Granny Smith apples for $1.25 a pound.  So I bought a few Granny's and a good amount of Red Delicious.  Today I was able to dry some of them.  Three Red Delicious were enough to fill all 5 trays of the dehydrator. 




They were sliced 1/4-inch thick and took only three hours to dry.  I ended up filling two quart bags just from three apples.




Now I am drying the Granny Smith apples and they should be done in half an hour.  Tomorrow I plan to finish drying the Red Delicious apples.  I hope to get some peaches before the season ends because the darling daughter loves peaches.  I wonder how dried pumpkin tastes.....

No comments:

Post a Comment